It is now Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 23:24

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Using up your surplus veg by cake making!
PostPosted: Thu, 13 Aug 2009, 09:47 
I've just bought a cookbook by Harry Eastwood called 'Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache - natural cakes that taste naughty' ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Velvet-Choc ... cr_pr_pb_t) Healthier, as swaps ground almonds and finely grated vegetables for butter, but still has sugar so not that healthy! It features a wide-range of vegetables including aubergine, beetroot, squash, carrots, courgette, parsnip and sweet potato.

It's beautifully illustrated and she gives each recipe a personality eg for Orange and Saffron Sand Cake 'This cake is buckets and spades, yellow light on closed eyelids and the smell of sun cream. Think of summer holidays, a skip along the sand and cherry flashes of bougainvillea'

I'm going to try some 'Courgette and Camomile cupcakes' today to use up some of our courgettes.

Post subject: Re: Using up your surplus veg by cake making!
PostPosted: Thu, 13 Aug 2009, 09:53 

Nope, sorry, I don't think even that wonderfully evocative description has sold me on the idea of a "sand" cake! ;)

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Aug 2009, 10:10 
Aww not even with saffron, oranges, carrot and honey? The sand element is fine-ground polenta. I'll make you some samples to try to win you over!

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Aug 2009, 10:16 

Mmm... Honey...

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Aug 2009, 19:03 
Courgette and camomile cakes were delicious - an interesting and refreshing combination - watch out though as there seem to be a few mistakes - I'm sure for the icing her 'tbsps' of lemon and camomile tea should be 'tsps', would be much too runny otherwise and she swaps half way from sugar to honey. But if you keep your wits about you they look like being good recipes!

PostPosted: Sat, 15 Aug 2009, 11:25 
The blueberry and courgette cakes were really moist and very tasty. I was forced by my friend to eat one with Chantilly cream. The things one has to suffer :lol: :lol: She is keen for us to get together and make the parsnip fudge next :o I'm sure that it will be lovely but just have memories of eating carrot fudge recently at Tanbridge that they'd made using a WW2 recipe. Not an experience I am in a rush to repeat :D
Sarah

PostPosted: Tue, 18 Aug 2009, 22:25 
Baked the White Chocolate, Cinnamon and Raspberry Blondie which uses grated butternut squash but that gets completely absorbed so it doesn't colour or leave a taste - just makes very moist. Even my younger son who hates vegetables loved it. Mmm what shall we try next ...

PostPosted: Sat, 19 Feb 2011, 09:54 

Are there any recipes for chocolate and beetroot cake? Does anyone have a good one? Someone once told me that it is delicious and beetroot is such an easy thing to grow.

PostPosted: Sat, 19 Feb 2011, 12:09 

Hi Laura

I've got 3 different recipes for chocolate and beetroot cakes. The Harry Eastwood one is her signature 'Red Velvet' - it's vivid red with snow meringue icing so quite dramatic but only has one tbsp cocoa powder so not very chocolately. Green and Black's cookbook has one which is meant to be moist and velvety with just a hint of purple and very beetrooty when you first eat (proportions 250g beetroot to 100g dark choc + 100g drinking choc). Stephanie Alexander has a recipe for muffins (proportions 250g beetroot to 100g dark choc + 2 tbsp cocoa powder). I haven't tried any of them as my boys are very fussy when it comes to chocolate cake and having arrived at their perfect recipe through months of modifications, they are unforgiving if I try to serve them up something else!

If any of them take your fancy I can PM you the recipe.

PostPosted: Sat, 19 Feb 2011, 13:29 

That would be wonderful. I can ask my father to scan the Green and Black recipe as I know they have that cookbook (hope it's the same) but the muffin recipe would be great. I'm a chocoholic so the first recipe is not quite so enticing.
Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat, 19 Feb 2011, 14:25 

Being a fellow chocoholic I feel the same about the Red Velvet! Will PM muffin recipe very soon but just about to jump on bus to Dorking. If you love chocolate you might like this: http://www.greenshift.biz/Charlie's%20f ... cipes.html - it's all my younger son's favourite recipes :)

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Feb 2011, 19:09 
TH member

This is just a personal opinion you understand, but beetroot is the devil's own vegetable, and ruining perfectly good chocolate by adding beetroot to it is just wrong. Really, just wrong. Don't do it ... just say no. :)

PostPosted: Wed, 23 Feb 2011, 10:08 

:lol: My sons would agree. I think the trick is finding the right recipe, I had some at a tea party which had a really lovely sweetness and moist texture but which didn't scream beetroot - it may have been the G&B one a few days on as the flavour of that is meant to die down. That's something I've noticed with these veg cakes - there's definitely a peak time to eat them, either side of which they're not as nice. Carrot's probably the exception as that always keeps well.