It is now Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 23:23

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Save our forests petition
PostPosted: Tue, 26 Oct 2010, 12:23 

If you are concerned about the Coalition plans to sell off our national forests to private firms please consider signing 38 Degree's petition. If there's an overwhelming public response they may be forced to rethink, so please forward the petition to anyone you think might be interested.

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/save ... s#petition

Thank you
Clare :)

Post subject: Re: Save our forests petition
PostPosted: Wed, 27 Oct 2010, 10:51 

Quote:
The government is preparing plans to sell off more than half of our national forests to private firms. This could mean ancient woodlands are chopped down and ruined. Woodland wildlife would have to make way for Centre Parcs style holiday villages, golf courses and commercial logging.

We need to stop these plans. Ancient forests like The Forest of Dean and Sherwood Forest are national treasures- once they are gone, they will be lost forever. A huge petition will force the government to rethink its plans. If we can prove how strongly the public are against this, they will have to back down. Please sign the petition now.

The petition text:

"Save our forests - don't sell them off to the highest bidder"

* Don't let private companies chop down our woodland.
* Protect trees for the conservation of wildlife and the enjoyment of the public.

Signed

PostPosted: Sun, 30 Jan 2011, 12:10 

Has anyone else signed this?

PostPosted: Sun, 30 Jan 2011, 20:11 

The petition may come across as too alarmist - I'm sure the Gov would say there would be safeguards to stop woodlands being chopped down. A bigger concern is that private companies will cherry pick the profitable parts and leave the rest for charities to manage with inadequate funding, rather than the Forestry commission making money where it can to subsidise care of the unprofitable bits. A lot of commentators are suggesting that the ownership issue is less important than the woodland being regularly worked, eco-systems protected and public access maintained and the National Trust's offer to step in has perhaps clouded the waters. However the more people that sign the various petitions (Woodland Trust also have one specifically for ancient woodlands: http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/camp ... t-now.aspx ) the more any disposals will be open to full scrutiny and the Tories will be prevented from rushing this through.

PostPosted: Mon, 31 Jan 2011, 11:32 
TH member

I have signed. I share Claire's concerns.

Heard on Radio 4 this morning that the Government proposes to subsidise any charities who take on 'protected' forests. As far as I know the Forestry Commission has done a good job for over 100 years. I don't understand the need for or benefit of change. I feel the Government has a hidden agenda. Yet another national asset moving into private hands for the ultimate benefit of already rich investors and to the detriment of the national community.

We could improve tax revenues by introducing graduated personal tax bands:
Earned income over:
£10k - 9%
£20k - 19%
£30k - 29%
£40k - 39%
£50k - 49%
£60k - 59%
£70k - 69%
£80k - 79%
£90k - 89%
£100 - 99%

Unearned income over:
£10k - 95%
£20k - 96%
£30k - 97%
£40k - 98%
£50k - 99%
£60k - 99.9%
£70k - 99.99%
£80k - 99.999%
£90k - 99.9999%
£100 - 99.99999%
Etc.

And ensuring that corporate profits earned in this country are taxed, in full, in this country.

Last edited by Chris Morris on Mon, 31 Jan 2011, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon, 31 Jan 2011, 12:45 

The government have changed their position on this since the petition was started, which was immediately after the initial government announcement about disposing of the forests. I think it is still the same petition as it is at the same URL as one I was emailed about last week. It may be that the wording has changed though, in light of the changes by government, but the petition does seem to be being particularly actively signed at the moment, going from 230,000 to over 300,000 signatories in a very short time last week.

PostPosted: Mon, 31 Jan 2011, 15:27 

I don't think the wording has changed, Mark, '38 degrees' are very effective agitators so they tend to choose emotive phrases like 'chopping down ancient woodlands' to grab attention. Danger is that the Government can come back and show that was never going to happen and that they only plan to sell to 'nice' people. The issue is more whether they should be washing their hands of a what will be an increasingly valuable resource in the future and ending the very good work of the Forestry Commission (who admit to making mistakes in the past but have learned from them and seem to be highly regarded by people who care about woodland). It's brilliant that people are prepared to make a stand over this, I think Lord Clark has said that it could prove to be this government's poll tax. There was a good piece by Monty Don in the Observer which has echoes of Chris' national asset point - he argues that it would be better for the government to make grants to maintain footpaths, enable compulsory access to schools and run courses on woodland skills and crafts and encourage coppicing for fuel. "This would both preserve an important and endangered part of our heritage and powerfully enrich the nation, rather than merely enrich the powerful."

PostPosted: Mon, 07 Feb 2011, 17:32 

Eeek! 38 Degrees have just rung to ask me to take part in a live radio interview about the forest sell-off so I'm going to have to make a good crib sheet so I don't dry up on air. Please keep your fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Mon, 07 Feb 2011, 17:38 
TH member

Good luck Claire.

PostPosted: Tue, 08 Feb 2011, 00:46 

Thanks Chris :). They phoned again to say they'll have some experts from Woodland Trust too so I only need to give a personal perspective - should be an interesting experience!